[geeks] VPN Help needed...

Thu Jan 3 17:59:48 CST 2008

> You can tunnel one or several protocols, but all traffic for the
> tunneled protocols does go through the VPN.  You could tunnel only
> HTTP, for example.  You set this with the SSH client's command line
> options.

Well, to be pedantic, you can't set ssh to tunnel only HTTP (or, at
least, I'm not aware of any implementation for which you can); the
closest you can get is to set ssh to tunnel only port 80.  ssh is blind
to what protocol you run over tunneled connections.  (Except for X
tunneling, which is a special case and is requested differently
anyway.)

>> 2. It's two way.  I doubt the Windows users care, but I sure would.

It is?  That's an implementation defect, then.  There is no need for
port forwarding to be bidirectional; assuming implementations that
support it (which includes all implementations I know of), it's
entirely possible to forward port 1234 on the client to port 2345 on
the server without forwarding anything the other way - or conversely.

Of course, any given forwarded connection is capable of carrying
traffic in both directions, but that's true of any TCP connection.

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML	       mouse at rodents.montreal.qc.ca