[geeks] VPN Help needed...

Sheldon T. Hall shel at artell.net
Thu Jan 3 15:11:47 CST 2008

Quoth Geoffrey S. Mendelson ...
> On Thu, Jan 03, 2008 at 09:39:54PM +0100, Sheldon T. Hall wrote:
> > machine from a normal one to a secure client who tunnels
> > everything (HTTP,
> > SMTP, POP3, etc) through the SSH connection, and back again.
>
> I'm guessing, but that looks like two problems to me.
>
> 1. It tunnels everything, I don't think they want to have ALL Internet
>    access go through the company servers.

You can tunnel one or several protocols, but all traffic for the tunneled
protocols does go through the VPN.  You could tunnel only HTTP, for example.
You set this with the SSH client's command line options.

> 2. It's two way. I doubt the Windows users care, but I sure would.

I don't actually know much about this, I'll admit, though I'm not exactly
clear on how someone from the SSH host end could establish a connection that
isn't otherwise allowed by the client's firewall.  Is it actually possible?
If so, to what do they connect?

-Shel