[geeks] 24 inch monitors

Phil Stracchino alaric at metrocast.net
Tue Jan 1 10:49:23 CST 2008

Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> On Dec 31, 2007, at 6:50 PM, Phil Stracchino wrote:
>> Myself, I'm rather interested by the HANNS-G 28" HG281BPD for
>> $600:http://www.mwave.com/mwave/viewspec.hmx?scriteria=AA71774
>>
>> Viewsonic also has a 28", the VX2835WM, which mWave has for $640:
>> http://www.mwave.com/mwave/viewspec.hmx?scriteria=BA23982
>
> Neat, but I kinda like 24 inches.
>
> 30 inches is really the next step up if you want displays that end on
> convenient byte
> boundaries, and screen ratios.
>
> Between 24 and 30 what they do is just make the pixels bigger, and
> personally I don't like it.

I haven't seen them in the flesh.  But while a bigger screen with more
mixels would be nice, the next step up is 2560x1600, starts at over
$1200 for the monitor alone, and would force me to upgrade my video card
as well to run it at native resolution, which would probably also force
me to either do a complete system reinstall and install a closed-source
driver, or go buy a current AccelX Summit series package and a video
card supported by that.  Either way, I'd probably be looking at $2000+.

On the other hand, a 28" 1920x1200 LCD will work with my current video
card and X server, weigh a fifth of what my 24" CRT does, and draw far
less power.  Honestly, my eyes are starting to get to the point where
the larger pixels aren't going to hurt; that and the physical form
factor will let me push the screen back a half-meter or so towards the
wall and the corner of my desk, and have more space in front of and
around it.

Said CRT isn't long for this earth ... while I'd *like* to be able to
afford a 2560x1600 LCD display when it croaks, it's more likely I'm
going to have to settle for squeaking out a 24" LCD.  I'm being hopeful
with the 28".

--
  Phil Stracchino, CDK#2         ICBM: 43.5607, -71.355
  alaric at caerllewys.net            alaric at metrocast.net
          It's not the years, it's the mileage.