[geeks] Quick Photo Manipulation Program

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Mon Feb 25 11:20:18 CST 2008

On Mon, Feb 25, 2008 at 11:32:47AM -0600, Doug McLaren wrote:

> In any event, I've found gimp to be reasonably fast and produces very
> good results, and so I wouldn't suggest dismissing it quite so
> quickly.

At work, the gimp takes a little over 20 seconds to launch and open a
1027x768 JPG on a 2ghz C2D.  At home that translates to minutes because
it also has to launch X11.app first, and it is only a 533mhz G4.

> And of course, for programatic image manipulation, ImageMagick is
> king.  But there's no GUI ...

And I use ImageMagick heavily, but I don't feel it is the best choice
for doing a single image at a time by hand.  Actually, I keep thinking
of switching to GraphicsMagick, which is a fork that adds a lot of high
end features, like doing all operations in higher bit depths.