[geeks] Quick Photo Manipulation Program

Doug McLaren dougmc at frenzied.us
Mon Feb 25 11:32:47 CST 2008

On Mon, Feb 25, 2008 at 02:37:28AM -0500, Dave Fischer wrote:

| If you open an image in xv that's too large to view, it scales
| it down, and then any manipulations happen on the scaled-down
| version. So you can only use it to crop, etc., small images.
|
| (Or maybe they've fixed that by now. The version of xv for
| Solaris 8 that's I'm using is pretty old...)

No, they haven't.  xv hasn't been updated since 1994.  A few patches
have been made by others since --

   http://sonic.net/~roelofs/greg_xv.html

but this limitation you're referring to still exists.  Which is a pity
-- xv rocks.

CV is somewhat similar to xv -- http://software.schmorp.de/pkg/CV.html
-- but I'm not sure if I like it yet or not.

In any event, I've found gimp to be reasonably fast and produces very
good results, and so I wouldn't suggest dismissing it quite so
quickly.

And of course, for programatic image manipulation, ImageMagick is
king.  But there's no GUI ...

Doug McLaren, dougmc at frenzied.us
No fair! You changed the outcome by measuring it! --Prof Farnsworth