[geeks] windows service without outside resources

Brian Dunbar brian.dunbar at liftport.com
Thu Feb 21 23:34:49 CST 2008

Is there any way to create a Windows service that runs an .exe without
using the utilities from the resource kit?  OS is Windows Server 2000.

Dayjob is holding a disaster recovery exercise.  I'm doing my part from
home.  Part of this is to recover a Windows application server from
tape.  I've got it done except that the service has not been dumped onto
the DR host that the application software requires to run.

The host is isolated, can't connect to the internet, or I'd simply
download the Kit (we obviously didn't think to chuck that into the
go-bag).  Any ideas?

Update just before I hit sent - I figured out a way to get the kit onto
the server using their VPN - but I'm curious about getting a service
created without the resource kit or any external resources.

--
Brian Dunbar
System Administrator

brian.dunbar at liftport.com
aim: bdunbar1967

GMT -6
this email is: [ ] bloggable [x] ask first [ ] private

Meaningful Work or Death.
Any other form of existence doesn't interest me.

Hugh Macleod