[geeks] FORSALE: 400GB Seagate SATA drive (update)

Kevin kevin at pipeline.com
Thu Feb 14 17:37:15 CST 2008

I have used IBM (and then Hitachi) drives for the last seven years.  I did
have one of the Deskstars take a dive but that was only one out of around
40 we had.

I've stuck with them and will continue to do so, although, i believe that,
at least as far as the hardware is concerned, any hard drive is going to be
as reliable as the next (assuming they are in the same "class" of drives).
These things are manufactured in plants all over the world and under
varying conditions.  One year WD might have a bad run, the next Hitachi
or Seagate might.  Unless you're going to run out every year and buy 100
drives from each manufacturer, test and compare, it's all just anecdotal
evidence (including my input above).  This may have been less true in the
past (think Conner), but i'd wager that they're all about the same now.

For me, choosing a drive maker based on other criteria such as customer
service, warranty period and so on makes the most sense.

/KRM