[geeks] FORSALE: 400GB Seagate SATA drive (update)

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Thu Feb 14 17:20:11 CST 2008

On Thu, Feb 14, 2008 at 11:14:33PM +0100, Chris H. wrote:
> Hm, I don't know about Hitachi, (didn't they inherit the IBM range,
> and continued the GXP horror-line?,) but I'd add Samsung to the list,
> approaching Seagate in durability.

Hitachi / IBM make really good drives - yes, the Deskstar 40GP had some
flaws, but that was HOW MANY years ago?  I've never had one fail on me,
and the one that I found at work once in a box that had been killed by a
lightning strike was promptly replaced under warranty when I sent it in.

IBM *invented* the hard disc drive - I tend to trust their stuff (and by
extension, Hitachi) more than anything else (even Seagate) nowdays.

Bill

--
Bill Bradford
Houston, Texas