[geeks] website/domain hosting, .mac alternatives

Nadine Miller velociraptor at gmail.com
Thu Feb 14 15:19:15 CST 2008

Lionel Peterson wrote:
>  On Tue, Feb 12, 2008 at 11:03 PM, Nadine Miller wrote:
>
>> Shannon Hendrix wrote:
>>> Does anyone have any experience with Dreamhost (www.dreamhost.com)?
>
> <snip>
>
>> Hang around webhostingtalk.com and look at the horror stories.  There
>> are a lot of other hosts out there with better reliability at lesser
>> cost.
>
> The problems people have should be tempered with the price and your
> intended use of the service - I have the *cheapest* hosting option they
> have, turned out to be about $50 for two years with a free domain
> registration. My use is for a place to dump random things, and I don't
> need 24x7, 365 access, I just need it up the few hours a month I want
> access ;^)
>
> For a .mac replacement, dreamhost I think it's fine, but YMMV.

No argument there, but he did say hosting, not "file dump".  Lunarpages,
for example, doesn't allow you to use your shared hosting account for a
file dump.  Obviously, that's hard to police if it's small stuff, but if
you start using it to handle big files and that usage doesn't "match"
your web hosting pattern, they will flag you and ask you to stop.

=Nadine=