[geeks] FORSALE: 400GB Seagate SATA drive (update)

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Wed Feb 13 20:08:10 CST 2008

On Wed, Feb 13, 2008 at 11:18:48PM +0000, Mark wrote:
> I've noticed recently Seagate have started putting a premium on their
> Barracuda discs. For the first time in almost a decade I went for a pair of
> Western Digital SATA drives when I put 2 500s in the Mac Pro because they
> were almost 10 GBP cheaper a drive, and they are quieter and faster than
> the 7200.10 and 7200.9 Barracudas in it already too.

I went with the Hitachi disks because they've got a 3-year warranty and
were $101 each for 500G/7200RPM SATA.

I'm still pissed at Western Digital; the WD-branded external 250G disk
(firewire/USB enclosure) died TWO MONTHS out of its only-one-year warranty
and I lost a ton of stuff (because I was stupid and didnt have backups) -
this is why I now have a pair of 500G disks sitting in gutted Sun unipack
enclosures where the 250G disk was.

Bill

--
Bill Bradford