[geeks] website/domain hosting, .mac alternatives

Nadine Miller velociraptor at gmail.com
Tue Feb 12 22:03:16 CST 2008

Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> Does anyone have any experience with Dreamhost (www.dreamhost.com)?
>
> They offer the whole ball of wax for $120 year, cheaper if you subscribe
> long-term.
>
> They've been around for 10 years and have a sale now.
>
> I had thought about signing up for .Mac, but the truth is a lot of it I
> don't really need, and I'm thinking I might want my own domain name.
>
> I also considered co-locating my own machine, but it looks to me like
> using someone like dreamhost is cheaper with more features and
> reliability than I could manage.

Hang around webhostingtalk.com and look at the horror stories.  There
are a lot of other hosts out there with better reliability at lesser cost.

Right now I'm using Lunarpages, but I'll probably go with Hostmonster
for the next batch, since they have ssh available for shared hosting.

There are VPS solutions running as low as $15/mo as well, if you want
full rootly powers.

=Nadine=