[geeks] WANTED: quiet 1U server

Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Sun Feb 10 13:29:53 CST 2008

On Feb 9, 2008, at 11:37 PM, Lionel Peterson wrote:

> Were I to build such a system the first thing I'd do is disuade
> myself of the
> idea of a rackmount server

I did that years ago... :)

I think you misunderstood since further down you say I want rackmount:
I do not want rackmount specifically.

I just want something that will fit in the given space, and a 19" deep
rackmount chassis will fit there.

The other issue is that I can only find servers in rackmount format,
or towers that are too large.

I will probably end up building this myself, I was just trying to see
if maybe there was something out there to start with to save some time.

> I would suggest the Sonata III chassis[5] at $82 (after $30 rebate),
> but you
> want rackmount, so I'd suggest this no-name Rackmount chassis[6],
> but I can't
> vouch for the noise level (shouldn't be too bad). NOTE: this chassis
> will
> "swallow" six 3 1/2" drives internally and leave 3 5 1/4" bays for
> optical and
> other drives, and one of the the Intel MBs listed above has 6 SATA
> II ports
> with "BS" RAID (DP35DPM).

Decent case, but it won't fit in the space.  It's about 5 inches too
high.

I know how to build a frankenmachine... I thought first I'd try for
something else.

It's really too bad the smaller "shuttle" type cases don't have more
drive bays and don't have motherboards with console redirection BIOS.

The size is ideal, and there is no reason they could not make a case
that had several externally available drive bays.

Thanks for the notes.

--
Shannon Hendrix
shannon at widomaker.com