[geeks] WANTED: quiet 1U server

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Sun Feb 10 10:27:23 CST 2008

>From: Lionel Peterson <lionel4287 at verizon.net>
>Date: 2008/02/09 Sat PM 10:37:47 CST
>To: The Geeks List <geeks at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: Re: [geeks] WANTED: quiet 1U server

>>From: Shannon Hendrix <shannon at widomaker.com>
>>Date: 2008/02/09 Sat PM 09:20:40 CST
>>To: The Geeks List <geeks at sunhelp.org>
>>Subject: [geeks] WANTED: quiet 1U server
>
>>I'm getting ready to replace my last two Sun machines.  They are slow,
>>noisy, and run too hot.  I've already ditched everything else and
>>temporarily loaded up the U2 until I can replace it.
>>
>>Ideally, the replacement would be smaller.

<snip>

>Chassis:
>I would suggest the Sonata III chassis[5] at $82 (after $30 rebate), but you
>want rackmount, so I'd suggest this no-name Rackmount chassis[6], but I can't
>vouch for the noise level (shouldn't be too bad). NOTE: this chassis will
>"swallow" six 3 1/2" drives internally and leave 3 5 1/4" bays for optical
and
>other drives, and one of the the Intel MBs listed above has 6 SATA II ports
>with "BS" RAID (DP35DPM).

Another "quiet" rackmount chassis is the Antec Take 3 and Take 4 (see: http://www.antec.com/us/productDetails.php?ProdID=94003) - these are *made* to
be quiet, and I built a system with one a while ago, and it was pretty nice,
but the size is just a tiny little bit bigger than your hard space
requirements (20" deep vs. your 19" depth limit).

Also, a bit pricey, but here is a neat little BTX chassis: 3U, 5 internal HDs,
2x 5 1/4" bays, etc. - see: http://www.gtweb.net/j3150.html

Lionel