[geeks] Q: Desktop/Network toolbag

nate at portents.com nate at portents.com
Fri Feb 8 13:24:34 CST 2008

> On 8 Feb 2008, at 12:46, Lionel Peterson wrote:
>
>> Hello all,
>>
>> As a nice, non-"Cheap Dell Servers" topic for the weekend, I was
>> wondering what tools folks think should be carried in a tool bag
>> for some one that works on Win/Mac desktops?
>>
>> The technicians recently got Paladin tool bags[0] but there is a
>> basic set of tools still needed. I suggested the following list,
>> and I was wondering what others think might be added:
>>
>>  - Philips head screwdriver (small, medium, large)
>>  - Slot screwdriver (medium)
>>  - Torx set (for working on Macs)
>>  - Diagonal wire cutters
>>  - Paperclip (for retrieving CD-ROMs from dead drives)
>>  - Known-good Cat5e (or Cat6) patch cord (2 meters)
>>  - Cisco console cable
>>  - USB -> Serial dongle (for above Cisco cable)
>>  - Boot CD-ROM with various tools for WinXP desktops
>>  - Password cracker on CD-ROM for WinXP desktops
>>  - USB flash drive (8 Gigs are only $30[1])
>>
>> Anything else? The goal is to be able to diagnose problems at
>> remote desktops and correct problems, not replace hardware on-site.
>>
>> Lionel
>
> I would add Mac OS X boot disks for whatever versions were running on
> the desktops being supported -- Tiger and Leopard, most likely.
> Also, potentially, a disk-repair CD such as DiskWarrior.

Along those lines for x86 PCs I would recommend UBCD:

http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

Also, you might consider including a variation on it called UBCD for Windows:

http://www.ubcd4win.com/

And alternatively, you might consider just rolling your own custom Windows
boot CD using BartPE:

http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/

- Nate