[geeks] PDF creation

Eric Railine erailine at gmail.com
Thu Feb 7 15:38:24 CST 2008

On Feb 7, 2008 1:23 PM, Dan Sikorski <me at dansikorski.com> wrote:
> Anyone here have any experience with PDF creation software for windows
> other than Adobe Acrobat?  It looks like there are at least two
> different projects called "PDFCreator"
> (http://sourceforge.net/projects/pdfcreator/ and
> http://www-pdfcreator.com/).  Does anyone know how well these work, and
> if their output is comparable to Adobe Acrobat?

I've used PDFCreator (the Sourceforge link, also at pdfforge.org) for
over 3 years at a couple different locations.  We actually rolled it
out to replace a commercial PDF creation product (I can't remember
which one it was now) on our terminal servers before it was supported
in the official release - I had emailed the developer about the
problem we were having & he immediately sent me a link to a beta
release (not available on Sourceforge at the time) that fixed our
problem perfectly.  I wish I got that kind of response from most
(any?) of the vendors I've had commercial support with ....

It's got a fair amount of options (I don't use them much, but it's
nice to have bundled support for "printing" to other formats as well:
png, jpeg, ps, etc.) and does very nice output.  It's not as pretty as
PrimoPDF, but I like it a lot better personally.

-Eric