[geeks] Ya-HoooooO!

Nadine Miller velociraptor at gmail.com
Tue Feb 5 19:05:20 CST 2008

nate at portents.com wrote:
>> There is a DVD remote available for the PS2.  It's simply an IR receiver
>> that's plugged into the controller port and you install a small driver
>> on the PS2 to use it.  Iirc, the connector for the  PS3 is the same as
>> the PS2, so it should work on either.
>
> Only the early PS2 needed the receiver and driver (which took up a lot of
> blocks on a memory card).  Later PS2 models (the ones that dropped
> firewire and had die-shrunk chips that put out less heat and had quieter
> fans and included the modem/ethernet adapter) and the slim PS2 have the IR
> receiver integrated into the case and the IR driver as part of the system
> firmware.  A few years ago Sony stopped including the controller port IR
> receiver accessory in their remote packages since they weren't shipping
> hardware that needed it anymore.
>
> The PS3 lacks any legacy PS2 connector, and while there is a PS2 to USB
> converter, I doubt it works with the old IR receiver, assuming you could
> even find one.  Rather, there is an official "Sony PlayStation 3 Blu-ray
> Disc Remote" which is Bluetooth, not IR, and is available for $20:
>
> http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000M17AVO/

So much for my console expertise.  :-)  I really don't have much
interest in the PS3 or the 360, so sorry for talking out of my hat.

I do have one of the USB->PS2 controller adapters that I use with my
dance pad on my PC.  USB adapters are pretty wonky--it's difficult to
find ones which will work reliably with all controllers, especially
dance pads.  I doubt it would work with the IR receiver as well.

=Nadine=