[geeks] Ya-HoooooO!

nate at portents.com nate at portents.com
Tue Feb 5 17:25:05 CST 2008

> There is a DVD remote available for the PS2.  It's simply an IR receiver
> that's plugged into the controller port and you install a small driver
> on the PS2 to use it.  Iirc, the connector for the  PS3 is the same as
> the PS2, so it should work on either.

Only the early PS2 needed the receiver and driver (which took up a lot of
blocks on a memory card).  Later PS2 models (the ones that dropped
firewire and had die-shrunk chips that put out less heat and had quieter
fans and included the modem/ethernet adapter) and the slim PS2 have the IR
receiver integrated into the case and the IR driver as part of the system
firmware.  A few years ago Sony stopped including the controller port IR
receiver accessory in their remote packages since they weren't shipping
hardware that needed it anymore.

The PS3 lacks any legacy PS2 connector, and while there is a PS2 to USB
converter, I doubt it works with the old IR receiver, assuming you could
even find one.  Rather, there is an official "Sony PlayStation 3 Blu-ray
Disc Remote" which is Bluetooth, not IR, and is available for $20:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000M17AVO/

- Nate