[geeks] Rebates

Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Tue Feb 5 12:33:47 CST 2008

On Feb 5, 2008, at 8:28 AM, Lionel Peterson wrote:

>> From: Shannon Hendrix <shannon at widomaker.com>
>> Date: 2008/02/04 Mon PM 09:08:06 CST
>> To: The Geeks List <geeks at sunhelp.org>
>> Subject: Re: [geeks] Rebates
>
> <snip>
>> I don't buy things based on rebates as a rule.
>>
>> However, there are times when you have no choice.
>
> Sure you do - you choose to buy from the vendor with the rebate and
> perhaps
> you choose to submit the rebate.
>

> If an item is available from one retailer for, say, $100 with a $20
> rebate
> (effective price is $80) and the same part is available from a
> different
> vendor for $90 without a rebate, which would you buy from? What is the
> threshold for deciding to go with the rebate part?

You don't get it.

I'm talking about two sitautions: the item is only available through a
rebate offer, which is very common.

Or two: the item is too costly without the rebate.

The most common example is cell phones, which frequently have a single
source and often are extremely expensive without the rebate.

Otherwise, I don't specifically look for rebates because the problems
are greater than the benefit in most cases.

That's why I said if you plan ahead, you can usually avoid the need
altogether.

--
Shannon Hendrix
shannon at widomaker.com