[geeks] Rebates

hike mh1272 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 5 09:52:33 CST 2008

On Feb 5, 2008 10:23 AM, Chad McAuley <chizad at gmail.com> wrote:

> Lionel Peterson wrote:
> >
> > If an item is available from one retailer for, say, $100 with a $20
> rebate
> > (effective price is $80) and the same part is available from a different
> > vendor for $90 without a rebate, which would you buy from? What is the
> > threshold for deciding to go with the rebate part?
> >
> > Lionel
>
> In that specific case, definitely the $90 vendor if we're talking retail
> stores.  Online vendors I could go either way, depending on shipping
> charges.  In general though, I don't mess with rebates much unless the
> price before rebate is what I'd be willing to pay for the item anyway
> (which in my experience with retail stores usually requires a
> combination of instant and mail-in rebates).  That way, if I forget to
> send off the rebate (which has happened before) or they reject it for
> some BS reason (which hasn't happened yet, knock on wood) then I've
> still purchased the item for a price that's reasonable to me.

my preference would be the $90 and no rebate.
the time it takes to fill-out the paperwork, make copies, address envelope,
and get it to the USPO takes more than $10 of time for me.
plus, after doing all the above, there is no guarantee that the rebate will
be approved/accepted.
the $90 store has significantly simplified my life and a simpler life is
worth $10.