[geeks] Rebates (was: I was wrong (big 2.5" PATA drives))

Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Mon Feb 4 19:39:57 CST 2008

On Feb 4, 2008, at 12:26 PM, Doug McLaren wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 03, 2008 at 11:50:54PM -0500, Shannon Hendrix wrote:
>
>> My best guess is that I have gotten roughly 50% of my rebates back,
>> and I'm
>> being generous.
>
> If I follow all the rules to the letter and get things in on time (the
> most important thing), I'd say I get 70% back with no extra effort on
> my part.
>
> I get 20% or so more by keeping track of my sent rebates and calling
> them when I don't get my check.  When I call, the usual response is
> that I was missing something -- which is very very unlikely as I check
> this stuff very carefully -- but they just want me to copy my copies
> and send it in again, and I get my check.

In the rare event I can get to someone to talk to, they won't accept
copies, and of course they have the original.

My success rate really varies depending on the type of products and
who is giving the rebate.

For manufacturers from Asia, it's less than 50%, so I was roughly
cutting it in half.

Most of the stores in the USA honor theirs, but the manufacturer
rebates are usually where I get shafted.

> their money.  This policy saves them money (as they pay out less in
> rebates) but doesn't piss off those who keep careful records and
> follow up on things enough for them to start screaming fraud, though
> it probably is.

I keep careful records and follow up, and it does piss me off.

I've almost never been able to get a vendor to honor their rebate even
when it is clear they are wrong.

> of who does this and don't do their rebates anymore.  Right now, my
> `makes up bogus reasons to not honor valid rebates' list is dominated
> by T-Mobile.

They just sent me a letter saying I can't get my $100 cell phone
rebate because they don't have the UPC.

I know they have it because I put it in the envelope.

>   1) follow every rule to the letter.
>   2) do it on time, preferably early.  (If you're a single day late,
>     the odds of you getting your rebate drop from 90% to 20% or so,
>     and two or three days late drop it down under 10%.)
>   3) keep photocopies of everything, including the UPC itself.

I find they won't take those myself.

>   4) keep track of your rebates and checks, and followup when it's
>      time to do so.

...and as I said, following up seems to be a problem.

Most of the time I can't even do the followup.  Probably 60% of the
numbers I've been given to call over the years never even answer.

Obviously our mileage has varied.

Keep in mind of course I'm mostly talking about vendors, especially
offshore.

I've yet to have problems with Best Buy or Circuit City, for example,
but frequently never get anything back from the manufacturer.

The whole system needs to be abolished, or be done at the register and
guaranteed by the merchant.

--
Shannon Hendrix
shannon at widomaker.com