[geeks] Integrated video and large displays

Mark md.benson at gmail.com
Mon Feb 4 12:24:22 CST 2008

On 4 Feb 2008, at 17:54, John Lee wrote:

> It's about time for me to replace my Powerbook G4. I was initially
> thinking of getting a Macbook Pro, but to be honest, I never really
> felt the Powerbook was too lacking in any single department. So, I
> began thinking about getting a Macbook and a large display (23-24",
> 1920x1200). Can anyone comment on the performance of the Macbook's
> integrated video when driving a big display? Most of the time I spend
> my day in emacs and Eclipse writing code, so I don't need ginormous
> framerates, but I do want screen updates to happen smoothly.

I used a Core Duo Mac mini with a GMA950 on a 20" CD at an Apple store
a couple of years back and i t was as smooth as you like. I'd imagine
the X3100 chip in the MacBook is even better. Make sure you buy with
plenty of system RAM though so you don't get your main RAM block
hijacked by the GMA chip.

--
Mark Benson

My Blog: