[geeks] test

Chris H. fu3.org at gmail.com
Sat Feb 2 22:01:56 CST 2008

2008/2/3, Bill Bradford <mrbill at mrbill.net>:
> Yeah, although the (old) notes I took on "correct configure flags for
> mailman on ohno" were wrong or something's changed since then.
>
> I'd written down "--prefix=/usr/local/mailman --with-mail-gid=mailman" but
> it needed --with-mail-gid=nobody.
>
> Bill

That's curious, but cool that you got it up and working.

What's up with gid's, anyway?

Is it really impossible to let a gid labelled "mailman" as a member of
group "nobody," (as you would with users,) or somehow alias them,
a.la. "ln -s :mailman :nobody," or something, (as you would with
files, just not quite(?)) - - - Although I realize this could quickly
turn into a mess in any serious scenario, it still seems it should be
viable, atleast as something to evade, if nothing else.

I'm only asking because it seems odd to have to do [what you had to
do] at the point of pre-compilation instead of screwing with
/etc/*mailman* or something more straightforward. - Is this an
'integrity, hard-coded daemon decision' from mailman's point of view,
or what?

(This might be totally uninteresting, so feel free to ignore. - I
could just go read the freaking manual ;)
--
< http://whorehou.se/ >