[geeks] Ya-HoooooO!

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Sat Feb 2 19:45:29 CST 2008

On Sat, Feb 02, 2008 at 11:43:00PM +0000, Mike Meredith wrote:
> On Fri, 1 Feb 2008 16:26:03 -0500, Joshua Boyd wrote:
> > On Fri, Feb 01, 2008 at 09:35:33PM +0000, Mike Meredith wrote:
> > > Admittedly my PS3 does spend far more time playing DVDs and BDs
> > > though.
> >
> > I personally prefer a hardware player.
>
> I'm not sure I see the difference between a PS3 and a dedicated
> player ... it's just as convenient to start playing a film on
> the PS3 as on my old dedicated DVD player. The only niggle is the use
> of the PS3 games controller to control playback, and as I only use play
> and pause it really doesn't bother me.
>
> Of course I'm probably missing something!

Actually my options are DVD player or computer.  I don't yet have a PS2
or PS3.  I think that having to use a game controller for a remote would
bug me to no end though.

For now I'm back to using the computer for DVDs despite my preference
not to.  I used to have my DVD player go to a video->VGA converter to a
SGI CRT.  The CRT died awhile ago though, and the converter box just
doesn't get along nicely with my LCD.

I finally found a new (to me) Sony CRT, but I can't seem to adjust the
computer output and monitor settings to be able to give me a both decent
video picture and a decent graphics picture.  I think a higher quality
video->VGA adapter might work.  In particular, I'm thinking of going
from a generic box to a used Extron line doubling/sync extracting video
switcher.

> > I don't know why anyone wants a console to win.  I like 2-3 consoles
> > being current at any one time.
>
> Re-reading what I read, I guess I didn't show my preference ... I'm in
> agreement. It'll be far more interesting with a more varied market.
> Remember how much more interesting computing used to be with dozens of
> different platforms to play with ?

Ahh, the glory days of SGI and Sun and the RS6000 workstation.  Of
course, those were also the un-affordable days as well.