[geeks] Little Falls 2 System Power Consumpion Question

Micah R Ledbetter vlack-lists at vlack.com
Sun Dec 14 14:53:27 CST 2008

On Dec 13, 2008, at 8:11 PM, Patrick Giagnocavo wrote:
> You are very lucky you didn't fry the motor on the hard drive.  I have
> seen cases in my own experience where under-powering drives results in
> them being screwed out and requiring a new PCB (basically the hard
> drive
> motherboard).

Really? I thought that people slightly underpowered laptop hard drives
all the time -- I don't remember the numbers off the top of my head,
but doesn't USB provide less than the maximum power that 2.5" IDE
disks can suck? IIRC 2.5" IDE disks can require up to 5.5v, according
the its spec, and USB doesn't have to provide more than 4.5v,
according to its spec (the numbers could be wrong, I can't remember
very well). Some laptop drives never thirst for their potential
maximum power draw, so there is never a problem, but some do.

I ran into this problem once, where any time I had heavy read or write
access on an external bus-powered USB drive, it would fail and the OS
would see that the disk had been detached without first ejecting it. I
tried the drive in two different enclosures, and the behavior
persisted. IIRC, Firewire provides a little bit more, and so I'm going
to get a bus-powered Firewire<->laptop IDE enclosure whenever I get
around to it.

  - Micah