[geeks] Silent computing

Aaron Finley aaronfinley at gmail.com
Fri Dec 12 22:41:55 CST 2008

> My Shuttle KPC K45 barebones arrived earlier this week, I'm going to stuff
> 2x 1TB "green" SATA drives in it and run it headless 24x7 - it has a 100
> Watt PSU and should handle it just fine. I'm thinking that should be a
> "fairly" quiet desktop/server (but not SILENT).[0]
>
> Lionel

The machine I have in my bedroom is a Lenovo D10. Despite having 2
750GB Hard Drives (Samsung Spinpoints), 24GB of RAM, a GTX 260, and
eight Xeon cores it is silent. One cannot tell if it is on or off from
across the room. I am sensitive to noise, and this is the first
machine I have been able to leave on at night -- I just RMAed an HP
XW6600 (considered very quiet) because it was too loud.

-- Aaron