[geeks] Solaris linking issue

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Wed Dec 3 17:21:33 CST 2008

On Dec 3, 2008, at 6:15 PM, Jonathan Katz wrote:

>>> LD_LIBRARYY_PATH ???
>>
>> It seems that LD_LIBRARY_PATH acts to append it's arguments to the
>> search
>> list, not replace the search list.   I could be wrong, but if so
>> then I may
>> be wrong about the specific problem.  I have been running the
>> program with
>> this command:
>> LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/spidermonkey/lib:/usr/local/lib ./couchdb
>
> IIRC LD_LIBRARY_PATH will overwrite, so let's say you have something
> that depends on /lib and you change LD_LIBRARY_PATH to just have
> /usr/local/lib ... the stuff relying upon /lib will break.
>
> My memory is foggy here, though. It may have something to do with the
> way you're running it, too...
>
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/foo:/bar:/baz; export LD_LIBRARY_PATH; ./program

Maybe I should be asking how to find out exactly what library it is
trying to load.  The symbol being complained about is in a library
linked to another library that is run time loaded, so ldd ./couchdb
won't show me anything (actually ./couchdb is a script, but ldd erlc
will also show me nothing useful since ICU is being used by a library
that erlc loads in response to a runtime command).