[geeks] Solaris linking issue

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Wed Dec 3 17:12:37 CST 2008

On Dec 3, 2008, at 5:36 PM, Jonathan Katz wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 3, 2008 at 5:31 PM, Joshua Boyd <jdboyd at jdboyd.net> wrote:
>> I have a program that depends on ICU, a unicode library.  Solaris
>> comes with
>> an older version (that is too old) of this library at /usr/lib.
>> Before
>> realizing that (and it is too old anyway), I installed the latest
>> released
>> version in /usr/local/.
>>
>> Anyway, then I try to run my program, it gripes about not finding
>> the symbol
>> ucol_close_4_0.  That symbol is found in /usr/local/lib/
>> libicui18n.so, but
>> not in /usr/lib.
>>
>> So, I suspect that the run time linker is picking the older /usr/
>> lib.  How
>> do I force it to correct this without removing the old one(which I
>> suspect
>> is required elsewhere) or permanently changing crle since I only
>> want this
>> one program to use the new library?
>
> LD_LIBRARYY_PATH ???

It seems that LD_LIBRARY_PATH acts to append it's arguments to the
search list, not replace the search list.   I could be wrong, but if
so then I may be wrong about the specific problem.  I have been
running the program with this command:
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/spidermonkey/lib:/usr/local/lib ./couchdb