[geeks] Photo "sharing" site recemondations please.

Phil Stracchino alaric at metrocast.net
Mon Apr 28 05:45:01 CDT 2008

Shannon Hendrix wrote:

>> not
>>>
>>> Is there any reason not to go straight to flickr?
>>

>> There is now. I'm a Flickr fan, but it's a Yahoo property, which means
>> it'll be a Microsoft property in about a year.
>
> They also started putting in video services, which I think sucks.
>
> flickr has always been great precisely because it didn't do anything
> else, and try to be an idiotic everything site like the rest.
>
> The video stuff can't be easily disabled, and site performance has been
> down ever since they turned it on.

Performance is one of the things I dislike about Smugmug.  I know quite
a few people who host photos on there, and the vast topload of
Javascript slows my browser to a crawl and bogs down the entire system.
  Come on, people, all you're supposed to be doing is displaying photos
-- *I* can do that without using Javascript at all.... what's your excuse?

   alaric at caerllewys.net   alaric at metrocast.net   phil at co.ordinate.org
                  It's not the years, it's the mileage.