[geeks] What is going on with the open source community ...the stupid bastards are clueless

Sun Apr 27 12:54:37 CDT 2008

>> The NetBSD poeple are trying to so-called stream-line the build
>> proces by forcing the use of libtool on all packages in the build
>> tree.

> Oh my.  How...misguided of them!  FreeBSD and OpenBSD are proof that
> a very diverse ports tree can be effectively managed using little
> more than the POSIX shell and BSD make.  Why would the NetBSD people
> want to make life so difficult?

I doubt that making your - or anyone's - life difficult is the goal
they have in mind.  If you really want to know the reason(s), you're
more likely to get an answer asking on a NetBSD list, which this isn't.
(You might get more helpful answers if you phrase the question a bit
less antagonistically, though; they're as human as anyone else.)

I don't know the answer; I don't use or work on pkgsrc.  My guess, for
what it's worth, would be that it's for the sake of cross-compilation
support (I don't use libtool except possibly as part of the canned
NetBSD build process, so I'm guessing here, but my impression is that
using it means that cross-compilation support comes for free).

If you want to improve things wrt package building on NetBSD, I'd
suggest filing PRs describing the problems you encounter.  It might
also be a good idea to subscribe to the relevant NetBSD lists.

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML	       mouse at rodents.montreal.qc.ca