[geeks] What is going on with the open source community ...the stupid bastards are clueless

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Sun Apr 27 12:29:40 CDT 2008

On Sun, 27 Apr 2008, Michael C. Vergallen wrote:

> | So....it builds fine "the normal" way, which is presumably from the
> | source tarball (which has the automake/autoconf/libtool cruft in it) but
> | not from pkgsrc?  How is this an autotools problem?
> |
> No ...only pkgsrc uses libtool to try and build the package where the
> original  authors strongly advice against using it. The NetBSD poeple
> are trying to so-called stream-line the build proces by forcing the use
> of libtool  on all packages in the build tree.

Oh my.  How...misguided of them!  FreeBSD and OpenBSD are proof that a
very diverse ports tree can be effectively managed using little more
than the POSIX shell and BSD make.  Why would the NetBSD people want to
make life so difficult?

--
Jonathan Patschke | "There is more to life than increasing its speed."
Elgin, TX         |                                   --Mahatma Gandhi