[geeks] industrial USB flash drives, and other solid state Solaris storage

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Sat Apr 19 23:57:19 CDT 2008

>From: Shannon Hendrix <shannon at widomaker.com>
>Date: 2008/04/19 Sat PM 10:42:21 CDT
>To: The Geeks List <geeks at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: [geeks] industrial USB flash drives, and other solid state Solaris  storage

>Solid State Solaris Storage... heh...

<snip>

Not to be ignorant (well, not *trying* to be anyway ;^), but why are you going through all this effoert? Are you trying to find a bootable device that won't take up a drive bay? Be faster than spinning media? Is more reliable than conventional media? ALl the above?

It seems to me you have many great answers, but without having one specific goal, it is hard to choose a "winner". If I were to implement such a solution, I think it would involve two USB flash drives, in a RAID 1 array, providing a duplicate in case of single drive failure, with minimal cost. (8 Gig USB "thumb" drives are as cheap as $25/each)

Lionel