[geeks] solaris 10 may 2008

Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Fri Apr 18 14:28:17 CDT 2008

Changes for new Solaris, while not Earth shattering, are decent.

One really important one: Solaris now supports SATA ATAPI for optical
devices, so at least one of you guys who had trouble should be OK now.

It didn't cause trouble for me, but it should run faster on all
systems now because the system doesn't throttle back to older non-AHCI
modes.

Also, Solaris now has official support for SATA NCQ.

Support for the Broadcom NetXtreme chipset, so now those of us with
Dell T105's should not have to download a driver.

Support for processor speed control with x86 CPUs.

Zones can now limit CPU resources used by zones and projects.

Solaris IPP can now talk to Linux and MacOS CUPS servers.

There a few other features, but really not a lot changed in this
release.  I was hoping for quite a bit more, but I understand the new
installers are really still not ready, and ZFS booting is still not
finished.

I'm debating whether or not to go through the pain of re-installing
this weekend.

--
Shannon Hendrix
shannon at widomaker.com