[geeks] IPCop and pfSense...

Mike Meredith very at zonky.org
Fri Apr 18 07:54:32 CDT 2008

On Fri, 18 Apr 2008 07:31:24 -0500 (CDT), Lionel Peterson wrote:
> >You know, the thought that you might actually *need* 2Gb of RAM for a
> >firewall is very, very scary.
>
> To be fair, modern memory (DDR2, etc.) is so cheap I'd question the
> value of using less - a 2 Gig DIMM can be found on sale (after
> rebate) for about $30-35, and 512 Meg is about $15 (again, AR) or so
> (at least around here, when the sales are running).

Oh I agree it makes sense to put 2Gbytes of memory in a machine in
terms of cost. I was commenting on the thought of running a firewall
that actually used all that 2Gbytes of memory ...

I run a scary firewall that uses 28% of 1Gbyte of memory which sits in
the middle of a network with thousands of client machines, hundreds of
servers, multiple gigabit connections (only 1 gigabit pipe to the
Internet), and hundreds of complicated rules.

A firewall that actually used 2Gbytes of memory would definitely be
very, very scary :)

--
Mike Meredith (http://zonky.org/)
 The man