[geeks] IPCop and pfSense...

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Fri Apr 18 07:31:24 CDT 2008

>From: Mike Meredith <very at zonky.org>
>Date: 2008/04/18 Fri AM 01:41:52 CDT
>To: geeks at sunhelp.org
>Subject: Re: [geeks] IPCop and pfSense...

>On Thu, 17 Apr 2008 13:57:53 -0400 (EDT), nate at portents.com wrote:
>> Throwing a dual-core E2160 in there and 2GB of RAM should make a
>> pretty well performing firewall/AP.
>
>You know, the thought that you might actually *need* 2Gb of RAM for a
>firewall is very, very scary.

To be fair, modern memory (DDR2, etc.) is so cheap I'd question the value of using less - a 2 Gig DIMM can be found on sale (after rebate) for about $30-35, and 512 Meg is about $15 (again, AR) or so (at least around here, when the sales are running).

I do agree you shouldn't *need* it, but if you build the box out initially, it will be ready for it's next purpose if/when you want to repurpose it...

Lionel