[geeks] IPCop and pfSense...

nate at portents.com nate at portents.com
Thu Apr 17 12:57:53 CDT 2008

So lately I've been intrigued by the $100 Shuttle KPC and it's possible
use as a firewall/AP:

http://us.shuttle.com/barebone/Models/K45.html

Unboxing here:

http://bigpcgeek.com/blog/2008/03/28/shuttle-kpc-unboxed-reviewed-reveals-hidden-gem/

Throwing a dual-core E2160 in there and 2GB of RAM should make a pretty
well performing firewall/AP.

Shuttle sells an internal Realtek RTL8187 chipset 802.11b/g card that you
can install and have an antennae sticking out the back for $50 (doesn't
use a slot, plugs into internal USB from motherboard):

http://global.shuttle.com/product_detail_spec.jsp?PLLI=638&PI=906

Only problem is, it appears there's no FreeBSD support for that wireless
device, which would rule out pfSense, but it should work in IPCop since
there is Linux support..

I already have a PCI quad 10/100 (Intel) ethernet card I can put in the
PCI slot, which would just leave a boot device to worry about, and I was
thinking a CF to SATA adapter would do the trick:

http://www.startech.com/item/SAT2CF-SATA-to-Compact-Flash-Adapter.aspx

The question is, how much would I lose going with IPCop vs. pfSense, and
is it worth trying to put together a different hardware solution to run
pfSense?

- Nate