[geeks] Thoughts? (Cheap NAS with nice feature set)

Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Mon Apr 7 18:36:06 CDT 2008

On Apr 7, 2008, at 09:17 , Nadine Miller wrote:

> Shannon Hendrix wrote:
>> On Apr 4, 2008, at 10:35 , Lionel Peterson wrote:
>>> It's $120 + cost of HDs from Newegg.com, but it looks pretty nice
>>> for certain
>>> applications:
>>>
>>> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822344001
>>>
>>> Mfg. link: http://www.galaxymetalgear.com/Products/3500MGBR_pro.html
>>>
>>> 2 SATA bays, RAID 1/0, USB expandability, 10/100/1000 ethernet,
>>> etc...
>> http://en.nas-4220.org/index.php/Main_Page
>> I'm disappointed that people have not lined up to hack the Hammer
>> NAS I bought last year, since it would seem possible too.
>> Seems to me it is slower than the Hammer, but cheaper too.
> The reviews @ Newegg do not inspire a lot of confidence, though.
> Not recognizing HD's on start up?

Reviews for what?  The Hammer?

I've never seen the Hammer not see drives immediately.  It's worked
flawlessly for me anyway.

> 3 minute boot times?

Not a lot you can do about that.  The system boards in most NAS are
very limited.  Weak CPUs even with their acceleration features, low
bandwidth, not much memory, and minimal I/O hardware.

The fast ones are a lot more expensive.

--
Shannon Hendrix
shannon at widomaker.com