[geeks] Thoughts? (Cheap NAS with nice feature set)

Dan Duncan danduncan at gmail.com
Fri Apr 4 14:11:40 CDT 2008

On Fri, Apr 4, 2008 at 8:35 AM, Lionel Peterson <lionel4287 at verizon.net> wrote:
> It's $120 + cost of HDs from Newegg.com, but it looks pretty nice for certain
>  applications:
>
>  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822344001
>
>  Mfg. link: http://www.galaxymetalgear.com/Products/3500MGBR_pro.html
>
>  2 SATA bays, RAID 1/0, USB expandability, 10/100/1000 ethernet, etc...

I keep toying with the idea of getting something like this, but the
one thing that stops me is this:
What happens when the device inevitably fails?  Will I be able to put
the disks into a
computer and read them, or will I have to buy/borrow another one of
these NAS devices?
Right now I'm using external USB drives plugged into a server with an
LVM volume group
assigned to each individual USB drive.

Seeing 1TB external USB/firewire/eSATA for $279 at Costco the other
day got me checking my funds again, too.

--
Dan Duncan