[geeks] Thoughts? (Cheap NAS with nice feature set)

Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Sat Apr 5 18:03:08 CDT 2008

On Apr 5, 2008, at 12:27 , Patrick Giagnocavo wrote:

>> I was hoping that maybe if a drive went bad, you could install
>> another on USB/Firewire/whatever and add it to the pool with the
>> failing drive, and migrate data to it without creating a new pool
>> and copying data to new filesystems.
>
> You can do something like this, yes.  The "zfs send" command lets
> you move a filesystem around as well.  Or I think you could make it
> a mirror, let it sync, then disconnect and use just the one drive.

What I used to do on my Linux system was resize /usr, /opt, /var as
needed by growing and shrinking the filesystems and RAID chunks.

It seems ZFS let's you grow and shrink a filesystem, but not a pool.
I think that's OK for my immediate uses.

A lot of ZFS websites talk about being able to do data migration or
replace a drive simply by yanking a drive and waiting for ZFS to heal
itself, but that would seem to require growing a pool which I thought
was not a feature.

I guess there is a mix of old and new information about ZFS to sift
through.