[geeks] Thoughts? (Cheap NAS with nice feature set)

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Sat Apr 5 11:37:49 CDT 2008

On Apr 5, 2008, at 11:22 AM, Shannon Hendrix wrote:

> ZFS is also in MacOS.  You can only mount ZFS drives since they
> didn't put in the creation tools or put it in Finder, but it seems
> pretty clear that ZFS is going to show up in Leopard at some point.

Apple engineers have released the rest, you just have to get it from
a seperate web site and it comes with stearn warnings that it will
eat your data, beat your kittens, then go off to club seals if you
try to use it.

> That would actually be pretty nice for some things I do on my Mac,
> assuming it works well.
>
> I also would like to see other filesystems on the Mac.
>
> One of the great missing pieces in UNIX right now is a nice common
> filesystem.
>
> I keep having to create my "sneaker network" USB drives with FAT32,
> because it is the only filesystem that all of my primary systems
> understand.

There are ext2fs drivers for Windows, and they work pretty decently.
There are drivers for 10.3 and 10.4 to do the same, but they were
never updated for 10.5.

In theory everything can read UFS.  I've never put it to the test.
Plainest UFS is probably not safe enough for this purpose anyway though.

If linux performance isn't essential and you don't care about
windows, you can use ZFS on Solaris and OSX directly, then use ZFS
via FUSE on Linux.