[geeks] Thoughts? (Cheap NAS with nice feature set)

Alois Hammer aloishammer at casearmour.net
Fri Apr 4 21:52:51 CDT 2008

On Fri, 04 Apr 2008 22:27:12 -0400, "Patrick Giagnocavo"

> Watsa matta kid, you can't use a web browser or nuttin' ?

Long day.  Lazy.  And I prefer hearing from people who've actually tried
it.  Just 'cos it's posted on the intarwebnetz don't make it true. :)
Plus, no one else I know -- and I know some pretty sharp Sun admins --
had heard of it.

> ZFS = no (or limited) disasters.  Everything is checksummed and you can
> run a command that will check the checksums anytime you like while the
> system is running and the fs is still mounted r/w.

Okay.  How 'bout the "goes real fast"?  Is it at least an improvement
over UFS?

> Pretty sure that ZFS is being ported to Linux and FreeBSD and has some
> level of usability right now.

At last report, ZFS is too big/complex/something to go into Linux
mainline kernel, so future usability is going to be limited to
FUSE-ability.  I haven't looked at the level of progress on the FUSE
port.

I like and occasionally take advantage of the fact that ext2/3 are
supported by non-UNIX, usually proprietary, software.  fs-driver.org,
for instance, or Norton (Acronis) Disk Image.