[geeks] Thoughts? (Cheap NAS with nice feature set)

Patrick Giagnocavo patrick at zill.net
Fri Apr 4 21:27:12 CDT 2008

Alois Hammer wrote:
> On Fri, 04 Apr 2008 16:24:15 -0400, "Patrick Giagnocavo"
> <patrick at zill.net> said:
>> Yes, Blastwave.  And I would think that ZFS kicks any of the Linux or
>> BSD based filesystems on the features you want.
>
> See later question about Blastwave working with stock Solaris 9 and 10?

Watsa matta kid, you can't use a web browser or nuttin' ?  It's plain as
day on blastwave.org that they support 8,9,10 and often with the same
package.

> I'm not doing anything terribly complicated with filesystems atm, so my
> killer features are "goes real fast" and "fsck recovers a lot of usable
> stuff in the event of disaster."  Also "has wide support" if possible.

ZFS = no (or limited) disasters.  Everything is checksummed and you can
run a command that will check the checksums anytime you like while the
system is running and the fs is still mounted r/w.

Pretty sure that ZFS is being ported to Linux and FreeBSD and has some
level of usability right now.

--Patrick