[geeks] Dell T105 server arrives

Eric Railine erailine at gmail.com
Thu Apr 3 14:02:52 CDT 2008

On Thu, Apr 3, 2008 at 2:33 PM, Lionel Peterson <lionel4287 at verizon.net> wrote:

>  As for the supported OS, like all virtualization tools I am familiar with
>  (which is a small subset of all out there), they all present a "standard" PC
>  and nearly all OS run fine. MS states support only for a couple OS, but most
>  *should* work...

Yeah, *should* doesn't always translate, though - when I was testing
an older (6 months ago?) version of Virtual Iron, for example, I
couldn't get an OpenBSD install CD to boot successfully, and had
problems with some other OSes as well.  Generally Windows, Red Hat (or
derived), and frequently SUSE work fine but others are more hit or
miss (in my experience).  I've had best luck with VMware (ESX,
Workstation, or Server), much less so with the Xen variants (Virtual
Iron, XenSource, the native versions in various Linux distros), and in
between for the others (VirtualBox, etc.).

And I wouldn't have been surprised to find MS enforcing their 'not
supported' stance altogether.

-Eric