[geeks] Dell T105 server arrives

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Thu Apr 3 13:33:22 CDT 2008

>From: Eric Railine <erailine at gmail.com>
>Date: 2008/04/03 Thu AM 09:43:13 CDT
>To: The Geeks List <geeks at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: Re: [geeks] Dell T105 server arrives

>On Thu, Apr 3, 2008 at 10:31 AM, Lionel Peterson <lionel4287 at verizon.net>
wrote:

<snip>

>>  As an additional side note, 64-bit Windows Server 2008 installs cleanly
with no driver issues from "pressed media" (I have a 1 year eval I got from a
show). I don't think I'll keep it active for long, but this will allow me to
try Hyper-V on this box.

>I installed it on mine (burned eval ISO) and it's running Hyper-V
>quite nicely.  I had no expectations for H-V but it's actually pretty
>nice so far.  I wouldn't think of swapping out ESX for it, but anyone
>running VMware Server (on Windows) or Virtual Server would probably
>make out much better with H-V.  The only officially supported guests
>are Windows & SUSE, but I installed an old version of OpenBSD on it
>(closest CD to hand at the time) and it installed quickly & runs quite
>well.

When I said pressed image, I meant to indicate it was nothing special, did not
use any Dell install tools, etc.

I saw Hyper-V in action at the "launch" for Server 2008  a month ago, and I've
been eager to tinker...

As for the supported OS, like all virtualization tools I am familiar with
(which is a small subset of all out there), they all present a "standard" PC
and nearly all OS run fine. MS states support only for a couple OS, but most
*should* work...

Lionel