[geeks] Dell T105 server arrives

Eric Railine erailine at gmail.com
Thu Apr 3 09:43:13 CDT 2008

On Thu, Apr 3, 2008 at 10:31 AM, Lionel Peterson <lionel4287 at verizon.net> wrote:

>  Since this machine has no internal IDE controller, 64 bit Server is not an option (yet). As I expect future machines (desktop and server) to become SATA-only, I feel this is a big issue that needs to be addressed before 8.04 goes "Live".

Absolutely.

>  As an additional side note, 64-bit Windows Server 2008 installs cleanly with no driver issues from "pressed media" (I have a 1 year eval I got from a show). I don't think I'll keep it active for long, but this will allow me to try Hyper-V on this box.

I installed it on mine (burned eval ISO) and it's running Hyper-V
quite nicely.  I had no expectations for H-V but it's actually pretty
nice so far.  I wouldn't think of swapping out ESX for it, but anyone
running VMware Server (on Windows) or Virtual Server would probably
make out much better with H-V.  The only officially supported guests
are Windows & SUSE, but I installed an old version of OpenBSD on it
(closest CD to hand at the time) and it installed quickly & runs quite
well.

-Eric