[geeks] Dell T105 server arrives

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Thu Apr 3 09:31:51 CDT 2008

>From: Lionel Peterson <lionel4287 at verizon.net>
>Date: 2008/04/03 Thu AM 07:03:41 CDT
>To: The Geeks List <geeks at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: Re: [geeks] Dell T105 server arrives

>>From: Shannon Hendrix <shannon at widomaker.com>
>>Date: 2008/04/02 Wed PM 10:10:15 CDT
>>To: The Geeks List <geeks at sunhelp.org>
>>Subject: Re: [geeks] Dell T105 server arrives
<snip>

>>This is a known problem.
>>
>>I believe there is a fix, but I forget now where I read it.
>>
>>http://bugs.centos.org/view.php?id=2622&nbn=10
>>
>>They see the same issue.
>>
>>I looked through my bookmarks but I'm getting tired so I might try
>>again tomorrow if you don't find anything.
>>
>>I'm pretty sure this one will get fixed quickly, if it isn't already.
>
>I knew there were issues, but I couldn't find this bug for this chipset, so I entered a new bug (assume it will be a dupe of something I couldn't find via search) against 64 bit 7.10 server.
>
>I have seen older posts regarding alternate install disc, but no clear indication if 32 or 64 bit alternat worked.
>
>As I understand it, if it works under 8.04 beta, then the bug is really considered closed, and there is no interest in going back and fixing it (reasonable, IMHO), but I really would like to see this corrected in 8.04 as that is an LTS (Long Term Support) release, and *could* be around for three years, and this bug/issue relates to install, not something that can be fixed via "apt-get update" after install.

64 Bit (AMD64) install of Beta Ubuntu Server (downloaded 3-Apr-08, not sure of build date) does not install - fails at same point/same reason - it can't find the CD-ROM drive.

Since this machine has no internal IDE controller, 64 bit Server is not an option (yet). As I expect future machines (desktop and server) to become SATA-only, I feel this is a big issue that needs to be addressed before 8.04 goes "Live".

As an additional side note, 64-bit Windows Server 2008 installs cleanly with no driver issues from "pressed media" (I have a 1 year eval I got from a show). I don't think I'll keep it active for long, but this will allow me to try Hyper-V on this box.

Lionel