[geeks] Dell T105 server arrives

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Wed Apr 2 16:59:24 CDT 2008

On Wed, Apr 02, 2008 at 05:56:47PM -0400, Shannon Hendrix wrote:

> I don't split drives up as much as I used to.
>
> /tmp is almost always in memory now, and that used to be the biggest
> PITA when someone filled it up.
>
> My last Solaris install was:
>
> big /
> 4GB /var
> RAM /tmp
> enough /export/home for server users, all other users go in /u

I don't currently mess with /var being a seperate FS.  I tried that on
the previous jdboyd.net, and it ended up being a few years of pain.

But that was Solaris 9.

On the current jdboyd.net (I guess I should stop calling it new since it
is A) more than a year old and B) I'm starting to think of swapping
machines again), I have solaris 10, and i have thought of moving
/var/log to a zfs something or other on the zfs mirrored pair.

I leave /export/home on root usually.  On jdboyd.net, /export/home is a
symlink to /tank/home, which is again on a ZFS mirror.

> I usually put /u on another drive or a RAID array, and that's where
> the data goes.

I can't decide on a consistant naming method.  Current in use, I have:
/tank
/raid1
/mirror2
/zfs

I guess /u is as good as anything.  It does get a bit annoying to then
have to add /u2, /u3, etc.

But then, I have a minimal number of shell users on any given system, so
I mainly have to worry about run away programs.