[geeks] Solaris 10 patching...

Brian Dunbar brian.dunbar at liftport.com
Wed Apr 2 00:16:39 CDT 2008

Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> On Apr 2, 2008, at 00:06 , Brian Dunbar wrote:
>
>> We use smpatch at work and don't use a GUI to configure it.  Am I
>> missing something that I could be doing different?
>
> When I run the program I get a message telling me to run
> /usr/bin/updatemanager.
>
> The man page doesn't list any options to input user and password.
>
> Does it go in a configuration file somewhere?
>
> Do you have a paid support contract?  If you do, then it is likely you
> registered your machine, which will also make smpatch work.
>
> Plus, I think you can use some feature without being registered or
> without supplying authentication, such as installing patch files and
> directories.  In fact, I know you can because that's how I updated today.
>
> But I can't run the program and use the automated features, at least not
> yet.

We're on support - this is the day job so there is money for those kinds
of frills.

Going by memory .... we register, them run smpatch
patch/analyze/download.  There is a script that is supposed to run after
that.  Patch management is a contentious issue right now due to
disagreement over when and how we can patch because of conflicting
requirements between SOX, medical regulations and the biz guys who would
prefer that we never-ever take a system off-line, ever.

--
Brian Dunbar

brian.dunbar at liftport.com
aim: bdunbar1967

GMT -6
this email is: [ ] bloggable [x] ask first [ ] private

Meaningful Work or Death.
Any other form of existence doesn't interest me.

Hugh Macleod