[geeks] Mac graphics opinions wanted

N. Miller velociraptor at gmail.com
Sun Sep 30 03:05:04 CDT 2007

On Sep 29, 2007, at 10:51 PM, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:

>> I'd actually rather a lower-end mac pro.  I'd like to have the
>> expansion
>> room for graphics cards and hard drives that the pro does, but I
>> don't need
>> dual xeons, i'd rather a core 2 duo.  I have three 20" dell
>> monitors that
>> i'd like to run triple head with, but the mini can't do it (and i
>> wouldn't
>> be happy with the mini's hard drive), and the mac pro is out of my
>> price
>> range.  I've considered selling the monitors and buying an imac,
>> but i
>> would miss the triple head, so i think i'm left with picking up a g5
>> powermac on ebay.
>
> I feel pretty much the same way.
>
> I think Apple needs both a better Mini and a nice mid-range computer.
>
> The lack of a decent mid-range system is one of the worst problems
> with their
> lineup.
>
> One part of my day job will soon involve system emulation with
> things like
> VMWare so I'll probably make good use of 4 cores.
>
> However, like you, I rather have a Core 2 Pro-ish option.

The short and sweet explanation is that we are outliers.  Most people
requiring (vs us wanting) a MacPro are corporate sponsored; most
everyone else can be satisfied with variations on the "low end".  I
think Apple sales droids would point you to the MacBookPro or iMac as
"mid-range".

I'd consider an iMac if I didn't have this sweet Dell LCD that I use
for my game consoles & KVM for the Windows box--it wouldn't make
sense $$ or desk-space-wise for what I have here.

I'd love a MacPro, but realistically, given my aversion to futzing
with things that are "just working" these days, I don't really think
it'd get me anything other than the "wow" factor.  That said, if I
could find a bargain G5 box, I'd consider going that route, but I
think given my current budget, a refurb Mini or MacBook makes more
sense.  If only I can hold out 'til Leopard is released...

One advantage we rescuers have is that we can buy used, depreciated
computers, without too much concern if we can see them working,
because we have the know-how to fix the things most likely to break.
90% of the masses don't have that luxury.

=Nadine=