[geeks] Mac graphics opinions wanted

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Sun Sep 30 00:51:49 CDT 2007

On Sat, 29 Sep 2007 23:27:09 -0400
Dan Sikorski <me at dansikorski.com> wrote:

> >On Sat Sep 29 21:11 , Charles Shannon Hendrix <shannon at widomaker.com>
> wrote:On Sat, 29 Sep 2007 20:29:37 -0500
> >I would like to see a "Fat Mini" with better graphics, 4GB
> >RAM capacity, and a bit more I/O.
> >
> >If that machine were out right now, I'd be very tempted to get it instead
> >of a Pro.
>
> I'd actually rather a lower-end mac pro.  I'd like to have the expansion
> room for graphics cards and hard drives that the pro does, but I don't need
> dual xeons, i'd rather a core 2 duo.  I have three 20" dell monitors that
> i'd like to run triple head with, but the mini can't do it (and i wouldn't
> be happy with the mini's hard drive), and the mac pro is out of my price
> range.  I've considered selling the monitors and buying an imac, but i
> would miss the triple head, so i think i'm left with picking up a g5
> powermac on ebay.

I feel pretty much the same way.

I think Apple needs both a better Mini and a nice mid-range computer.

The lack of a decent mid-range system is one of the worst problems with their
lineup.

One part of my day job will soon involve system emulation with things like
VMWare so I'll probably make good use of 4 cores.

However, like you, I rather have a Core 2 Pro-ish option.

Actually, what I *really* want is to be able to run MacOS on hardware of my
own creation.

I can pick out nicer parts than Apple does, and it is a real shame that
I can use them to run MacOS.

--
shannon          | If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything.