[geeks] KVM switch recommendations

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Mon Sep 24 15:33:03 CDT 2007

>From: Chad McAuley <chizad at gmail.com>
>Date: 2007/09/24 Mon PM 02:50:37 CDT
>To: The Geeks List <geeks at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: Re: [geeks] KVM switch recommendations

>On 9/24/07, Charles Shannon Hendrix <shannon at widomaker.com> wrote:
>> I need to get a KVM to switch among 2 primary systems.  Actually more,
>> but I think I'm going to just focus on the two main systems and deal
>> with the rest later.
>>
>> Basically, I need a DVI/USB KVM to switch between a Mac and a PC.
>>
>> Ideally it needs to handle 1900x1200 in case I get a 24" widescreen.
>>
>> I've read a lot of reviews, and people report even expensive units have
>> little annoying flaws.
>>
>> Is that just the state of DVI/USB KVM switches, or are there some that
>> are pretty much "perfect".
>

>I haven't done any detailed research into it, but what I've seen in
>passing leads me to believe that's just the state of DVI/USB KVM
>switches.
>
>On a similar topic, if I may do a bit of threadjacking, anyone have
>recommendations for a decent VGA/USB KVM?  I just need one that can
>switch between two PCs.

Cheap IOGear works fine for me - two system USB KVM w/VGA and audio was about $30-35 last I looked:

Model GCS632U (USB VGA KVM w/audio) - $70 list, $40 at buy.com: http://www.buy.com/retail/searchresults.asp?search_store=1&querytype=comp&qu=GCS632U&loc=101&qxt=comp&display=col&dclksa=1

I used it recently and liked it - IOGear/ATEN devices are pretty good values, and fairly common.

IOGear has a new two system DVI KVM (but PS/2) GCS92 for $150 list, $115 buy.com: http://www.buy.com/prod/iogear-miniview-micro-dvi-ps-2-kvm-switch-2-x-1-2-x-mini-din-ps-2/q/loc/101/204849383.html

HTH,

Lionel